The heart of our mission is promoting animal conservation, and all of our employees, at every level, contribute to the support of that mission. Millions of Zoo guests witness our animal conservation efforts in action by visiting our animal exhibits, gardens, and aquariums.
If you have a passion for animal conservation, you may be interested in working for us as the Nutrition Center Technician. This role is a year-round, physically demanding, full time hourly position that provides operational assistance to the Zoo’s Nutrition Center.
The Zoo provides a wonderful work environment, paid holidays, a competitive benefit package (medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 403b, critical illness and accident insurances, and short-term disability), and liberal paid time off.
- Two (2) years of related professional work experience, performing food handling or warehouse activities in a zoo, aquarium, or similar institution is required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a closely related discipline is required.
- Physical strength, stamina, and endurance. Must be able to repeatedly climb step-ladders, stoop, squat, kneel, bend, crouch, stand, walk, push, pull, and lift.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions, and for short periods, in the food freezer (-18C).
- Lifting 50 to 75 pounds repetitively throughout the day, and ability to stand to perform work tasks for the majority of the work day.
- Due to driving requirements, you must have a valid Indiana driver’s license, and have a driving record that qualifies you as insurable by the Zoo’s insurer.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Daily food preparation, including special diet mixes, for our collection, delivery of food, and assisting with commissary related pick-ups and deliveries, both on and off zoo grounds.
- Consults with the Nutritionist / Nutrition Center Area Manager on animal diets.
- Keep commissary food preparation and storeroom areas including counters, refrigerators, freezers, floors, and equipment clean and sanitary, and in a neat, orderly manner.
- Unloads, stores, and arranges all produce, meat/fish products, and various hays including rotation of these items to assure freshness
- Will assist with receipt of food products from vendors; check coinciding paperwork against products received; and inspect food items for damage and quality control
ONLY ON-LINE APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED. Mailed, e-mailed, faxed, and/or hand delivered resumes will not be considered. Please include your compensation requirement in your attached cover letter, or enter it on the online application.
Deadline for application is November 1, 2018.
To help ensure receipt of your online application, we recommend applicants use a computer running Windows XP or higher, with at least Internet Explorer 8, Google Chrome, or Safari. ?
Use the following link to access the zoo application:
Resumes may also be attached to your on-line application. Enter “Nutrition Center Technician” in the “Position Desired” section of the application.
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug test, a criminal history and driving record check.
The Indianapolis Zoo is an EOE / Child Safe / Drug Free/Smoke Free workplace.