Zoo and Wildlife Nutrition Foundation (ZWNF) Announces RESEARCH Grant Opportunity
The Zoo and Wildlife Nutrition Foundation (ZWNF) is a non-profit organization established for the purpose of:
– contributing expertise and providing funds to support zoo and wildlife nutrition programs worldwide,
– furthering the science of zoo nutrition
– facilitating the dissemination of nutrition knowledge, and
– developing the next generation of zoo nutrition leaders
The ZWNF Research Grant supports basic or applied research in the area of zoo and wildlife nutrition.
Grants may be funded up to $1000, and funding may be used to support research programs, including no more than $250 allocated to travel expenses.
Examples of projects eligible for ZWNF Research Grant support include: animal studies evaluating nutrient intake and/or nutrient requirements, evaluation of nutrient content of dietary items, palatability work and other effects of diet/nutrition on behavior, development and/or validation of tools for nutritional assessment such as BCS methods. Examples of projects that are not eligible for ZWNF Research Grant support include: diet surveys without some component described above, studies examining animal physiology without a nutrition component.
Projects should be completed within 1 year of funding receipt, and a final report will be expected within 6 months of that time*.
To apply, submit a short proposal (3 page max, excluding CV and IACUC documentation) including the following information:
– Title and Investigators
– Purpose and Background Information
– Methods (i.e., Design, Analytical Methods, Data Analyses, Expected Results)
– Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) approval, if applicable
– CV for investigators
– Funding requested, with details of funding from other sources if required for project completion
– Dissemination plan
– Call for Grants 4/8/18
– Grant proposals due 5/31/18
– Grant awardee/s announced 8/4/18 (at CNS meeting)
– Funding provided by 8/4/18
– Final report due by 12/31/19
Proposals will be evaluated by members or designees of ZWNF and AZA NAG. Anyone related to, or who could potentially benefit from grant funding, will be excluded from the selection process. ZWNF board of directors and AZA NAG reviewers are not eligible for grant funding. Eligible proposals will be prioritized based upon those that most clearly meet the AZA NAG’s objectives and priority of funding.
Submit proposals to Barbara Henry, President, ZWNF, Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden, 3400 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45220, or via email at Barbara.firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Reports on projects or summaries will be viewable on the ZWNF section of the AZA NAG Website and will be included in the ZWNF annual report/updates. ZWNF must be acknowledged in all publications. A contract between the grantee and ZWNF will clearly state these requirements and use of funds. Organizations outside the US will need to provide additional documentation of tax exempt status and financial records.