Job Title: Nutritionist, Exotic Animal Nutrition
The successful candidate will provide technical expertise for Exotic Animal customers (Zoos, Exotic Animal Parks, and Aquariums), veterinarians and private owners/consumers and conduct research leading to new added value products. Within the company, this position will provide technical expertise to Sales, Marketing, Manufacturing, Quality, and Customer Service teams to support growth in the Mazuri® Exotic Animal business. This position will also provide technical expertise for assigned projects including investigating and resolving problems, assist with field sales and field trials, provide input into product development and expansion of existing products and act as the technical interface between the company and the customer. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Provide nutrition and management expertise to exotic animal customers and consumers.
- Create value by conducting research to develop unique specie specific diets for a broad range of exotic animals, worldwide.
- Work with manufacturing plants to develop product specifications, formulate diets, establish quality standards and respond to all internal inquiries. Work with Quality Assurance to resolve complaints.
- Work with the Exotic Animal business team to respond to all external inquiries from sales, retailers, customers or consumers.
- Provide technical expertise and assist with communication within the Mazuri business and within the Purina/Land O’Lakes organization.
- Assist with the creation of sales training materials.
- Assist with attaining new business by providing technical expertise and knowledge during sales calls and visits with customers. Work with sales personnel to find ways of providing value and company differentiation with each customer.
- Support customer activities at the Purina Animal Nutrition Center and at field events/meetings/conferences by participating and/or speaking at the events.
- Remain current on exotic animal industry trends and knowledge.
- Maintain visibility within the industry by participating or speaking at conferences, trade shows, and by preparing articles for industry publications.
- PhD in Nutrition (monogastric or ruminant), or related field with an emphasis on exotic animal nutrition, 3+ years of experience. Preference will be given to candidates with experience with exotic animals.
- Travel is required in this position. The amount of travel will be dependent on the customer base served and amount of direct customer contact required. Position will average 25 – 40% travel.
Competencies & Other Skills
- Strong technical skills and understanding of animal nutrition in one or more of the species identified and their respective animal industry.
- Strong interpersonal and communication, public speaking and technical writing skills.
- Must be capable of providing scientific and research data, regarding nutrition and animal management, in sales environments.
- Must be able to inspire confidence in product performance with creativity and conviction in product-line knowledge.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and leverage collaborative relationships.
- Ability to effectively work as a part of a team and possess excellent team building skills.
- Uncompromising integrity.
- Excellent problem solving skills. Strong communication, planning & organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills to support critical software tools that support product sales.
- Experience and understanding in one or more of the species within the exotic animal industry and the versatility to be able to work well with multiple segments of the industry.
- Previous feed business experience in technical sales and marketing support.
- Experience with exotic animals.
Contact: Land O’Lakes Website
Purina Animal Nutrition LLC (purinamills.com) is a national organization serving producers, animal owners and their families through more than 4,700 local cooperatives, independent dealers and other large retailers throughout the United States. With an uncompromising commitment to animal excellence, Purina Animal Nutrition conducts industry-leading R&D initiatives that create and sustain a valued portfolio of complete feeds, supplements, premixes, ingredients and specialty technologies for the livestock and lifestyle animal markets. Species served by Purina Animal Nutrition include both large and small animals, including cattle, horses, swine, chickens, hamsters, gerbils and rabbits. Headquartered in Shoreview, Minn., Purina Animal Nutrition LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Land O’Lakes, Inc.
Scope of Mazuri® Exotic Animal Business
The Mazuri® Exotic Animal Business develops diets for two major market segments: Zoos, Exotic Animal Parks, and Aquariums; and the Retail Consumer Channel that services consumers who own exotic animals as part of their lifestyle in the US and internationally. Animals include: a broad range of exotic mammals, invertebrates, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish.