Under direction of Curator, provide experienced oversight of ordering, receiving, preparation, and delivery of food and supplies to animal buildings and exhibit areas, using proper sanitation and cleaning guidelines; maintain buildings in assigned areas. Supervise and instruct Keepers in Animal Nutrition Center
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure provision of daily diets for the collection animals at Dallas Zoo and Children’s Aquarium. Plan, direct and participate in receiving, preparing and delivering food to all animal areas. Ensure food is handled in a safe manner.
- Participate in maintenance of diet records.
- Procure (or supervise procurement) of food items following established purchasing practices.
- Ensure proper receipt and storage for all items.
- Maintain inventory of all items. Maintain purchasing records, summarize monthly usage. Manage department budget within given scope of control.
- Supervise personnel, including volunteers, for all areas of responsibility and professional conduct.
- Participate in the selection, hiring, and evaluation of staff and ensure appropriate forms are completed in a timely manner.
- Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for both the department and staff.
- Train assigned staff in their areas of work including preparation, sanitation and professional conduct.
- Monitor the work of assigned staff for accuracy, proper work methods, techniques, and compliance with applicable standards and specifications.
- Schedule staff; maintain up to date standard operation procedure for assigned areas
- Supervise and ensure adherence to proper standards of sanitation and safety.
- Ensure quality customer service to internal and external customers.
- Ensure cleanliness and upkeep of Animal Nutrition Center and surrounding area, maintain vehicles and equipment in good condition. Submit and follow up on work orders.
- Ensure appropriate daily staffing coverage for Nutrition Keepers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have at least three years of food preparation, warehousing or animal care experience; one year supervisory experience preferred.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED. Bachelor’s degree in biological, nutrition or culinary field preferred, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Knowledge of MS Word/Excel or similar programs essential.
- Must be flexible, self-motivated and a team player.
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees and zoo guests.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must have good observational skills.
- Must be able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull bend, climb stairs and ladders and carry 50lbs, sometimes up to 75lbs.
- Must be able to work holidays and weekends.
- Must be able to actively work in inclement weather.
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Join the Dallas Zoo Management, Inc. community to experience a unique, challenging and rewarding career. If you are interested, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants MUST place job code NSUPV in the subject line to be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
EOE M/F/D/V. www.dallaszoo.com