Link to apply: https://careers.seaworldparks.com/Application/Get/affdgchngfiioaajbffo
Busch Gardens is a place of thrills, fun and positive, lasting memories. And that’s just what it’s like to work here! As a key member of our team, you’ll play a major role in bringing happiness and excitement to people from around the world. If you’re dedicated, dependable and driven to deliver exceptional guest service, this is a place for you!
What you get to do:
As the Nutritionist, you will:
Oversee all aspects of feeding the collection of animals at Busch Garden Tampa Bay. This position will manage the zoo’s commissary, browse program, and all laboratory-based analyses of foodstuffs as it relates to research or quality control. In collaboration with animal care and veterinary staff, this position will be responsible for all diet formulations and modifications as needed to maintain the animal’s health, wellbeing, and welfare. This position reports to the Vice-President of Zoological.
- Management of the commissary and browse program.
- Manage budgets for the commissary, browse program, including planning, monitoring, and modification, with the changing prices of foodstuffs and the changing composition of the animal collection,
- Communicate relevant nutrition information to veterinary, animal care, and relevant scientific staff.
- Collaborate with animal care and veterinary staff on diet formulations for new animals/species and changes in formulations to address management and/or medical issues.
- Maintain professional and/or working relationships with clinical and research nutritionists at other zoos and universities to establish a network of relevant experts for consultations and collaborations.
- Continually evaluate current diet formulations, taking into account changes in product availability/composition and recent advances in the field of comparative nutrition.
- Collaborate with animal care and veterinary staff to integrate food stuffs into enrichment and training protocols.
- Evaluate research proposals that include manipulations of diets and/or the analysis of dietary items as a member of the Zoo’s Research Review Committee.
- Assist with collaborative research projects by providing expertise, logistical support, records, or samples as needed. The interest and ability to conduct animal nutrition research projects and prepares the results for presentations and peer-reviewed publications is preferred.
- Understand and adhere to guidelines and recommendations established by AZA, USDA, and OSHA and America Humane.
- Attend regularly scheduled animal management meetings.
- Enthusiastically represents Busch Gardens by displaying a positive attitude. Works as part of a local and corporate SEAS zoological team to provide quality service and care for the collection and co-workers.
- Represent Busch Gardens in the professional community, with our guests and occasionally in the media in a well-informed, positive manner.
- Consults and educates the animal staff and management in areas of health and husbandry.
- Responsible for entries to an electronic animal record system.
- Other duties as assigned.
What it takes to succeed:
- M.S. in nutrition, animal science, or related biological field. PhD Preferred
- Minimum of 3 years paid, full time, zoo experience or equivalent professional animal nutrition experience
- Supervisory/managerial/budgetary experience preferred
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid Florida driver’s license within 30 days of employment
- Must be able to work a variable schedule to include weekends, holidays, emergencies, and potential overnight travel.
- Consistently practices safe work habits including, but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment, lifting, and reporting of unsafe situations.
- Computer skills necessary including application in EXCEL, WORD, and POWERPOINT.
What else is important:
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 50 lb.
- Must be willing to comply with all SEA grooming guidelines and employment standards.
- Must be able to successfully complete all legal, company and department training requirements to include but not limited to passing required tests and certifications within established timelines.
The perks of the position:
As part of the SeaWorld family, you’ll enjoy a fun, fast-paced environment and great teammates, as well as:
- Paid Floating Holidays
- Accrual based Paid Time Off
- SEA Employee Complimentary Park Tickets and Passes
- SEA Park Discounts on Food and Merchandise
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K plan
- Voluntary Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Disability Benefits
- Dependent and Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal Assistance Plan
Join the team!
If you’re looking for the opportunity to make the most of your abilities in a one-of-a-kind setting with an entertainment industry leader, we’re looking for you!